Posted by Matt_Dempsey@epw.senate.gov
The Upton-Inhofe Discussion Draft:
“The Energy Tax Prevention Act of 2011”
Release: Upton, Whitfield, Inhofe Unveil Energy Tax Prevention Act
Link to Upton-Inhofe Section by Section Summary
Link to Upton-Inhofe Myth vs. Fact
What it does: Repeals EPA’s authority to regulate greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act and:
1) Puts Congress Back in Charge
- The Upton-Inhofe bill stops EPA bureaucrats from making policy decisions that should be made by Congress.
- Congress never authorized greenhouse gas regulation under the Clean Air Act. The Supreme Court’s interpretation of the law is wrong, and now it’s time for Congress to restate what the law is.
2) Stops Backdoor Cap-and-Trade
- President Obama failed to pass his cap-and-trade agenda in Congress. Now he’s trying to implement it through the backdoor at EPA.
- The Upton-Inhofe bill stops EPA’s backdoor cap-and-trade tax.
3) Protects Jobs, Consumers, and Small Businesses
- The Upton-Inhofe bill stops EPA bureaucrats from imposing policies to make gasoline, food, fertilizer, and electricity more expensive, which amounts to a massive tax on American consumers.
- The Upton-Inhofe bill stops EPA bureaucrats from crippling small businesses with new regulations and sending manufacturers overseas.